Power hour: you deserve a break today!
Taking time away from your regular routine to relax and reflect is always a good idea, and it’s especially important during uncertain and challenging times. Whether you’re a business owner, a professional who’s working from home, or an essential worker on the front lines, it’s okay to give yourself permission to slow down and take care of yourself. Carve out an hour on your schedule and enhance your well being with these activities recommended by mental health professionals.
- Be grateful. Think about the things in your life that bring you joy and peace. It won’t take long before you’re feeling thankful rather than overwhelmed.
- Lean on your support system – you know, those folks you can always count on. You may not be able to go in for the hug just yet, but kind, encouraging words can go a long way. Pick up the phone for an old fashioned chat.
- Take a walk with Fido, go for a run, or hop on your bike. Exercise will alleviate stress, give you a little break in your day, and put your mind on something different – like the beautiful scenery around you.
- Take a break from media. It’s smart to stay informed, but limit your social media and TV time. It’s hard to relax when your head is in information overload.
- Be creative. Start that hobby you’ve always been thinking about. Who knows? You may become a cooking phenom or an expert landscaper. Let your imagination go and refocus your energy on something that will help recharge your mind and body.
- Help others. Doing good deeds not only makes you feel better, but you’re making someone else’s life a little nicer, too. A simple thank you note to the curbside to-go server, a plate of cookies for the mailman, or sewing masks for front liners – your little gesture will go a long way, and you’ll feel good, too.