Worried about getting behind on your bills?
The coronavirus pandemic has put a strain on our way of life, our businesses, and our finances in ways we could not predict. If you’ve been impacted and are worried about getting behind on your bills, here’s some guidance.
- Time matters. If you think you will not be able to pay your bills on time, reach out early to your banks, utilities, landlord, and credit card companies. Many of these companies are offering flexibility and assistance to customers facing financial strain during the pandemic.
- When contacting the companies you owe, be prepared to explain:
- Your money and job situation
- How much you can afford to pay
- When you’re likely to be able to restart regular payments
- Your income, expenses and assets
- Many landlords are also waiving fees and offering flexible payment plans. If you can’t pay rent, some states (including Minnesota) have suspended evictions during the coronavirus pandemic.
We can help
Call 1-800-288-3425 to find out how we can help you.
Find tips on protecting your finances during the coronavirus pandemic at www.consumerfinance.gov/coronavirus.